10 Tips for an Epic Staycation
Summer is coming to an end and you haven’t had a proper vacation, and let’s be real, who in the medical field has time for one? Luckily, staycations are a thing, and they are perfect for those with no time, energy, or money for the real thing. And if you do it right, a staycation can feel like a real vacation. The secret is commitment. Go big or go home. In this case, do both! So grab your passport…and store it in a safe place because you are not about to be bothered with the joys of a massive packing session or TSA lines.
- Budget Yourself – Just like all other vacations, start with a budget. Figure out how much you want to spend and what places/activities you want to splurge on. Not only will you be doing yourself a favor, but also the process of budgeting will get you in the vacation state of mind.
- Give Give Up the Chores – Speaking of state of mind, leave all your troubles behind. That means: no cooking, cleaning, or emailing. Leave all things related to work and home life on the back burner because you’re on vacation!
- Snag a Hotel – Next, book a hotel room! This may be silly, but whether you book a room at neighboring town or just around the corner, nothing says vacation like a hotel. Especially one with great amenities.
- Tackle Your Bucket List – Do you have a list of places you always wanted to check out but never got around to it? Well here’s your chance to cross off those places! For more ideas, visit your local city’s website and take a gander at suggested tourist attractions and upcoming events. You may be surprised at what you find! While you’re at it, check out Groupon, their local deals can be very persuasive.
- Hop in the Pool – Nothing says summer like fun in the sun, so grab your swimsuit and head out to the nearest swimming pool, beach, lake, or swimming hole. Almost any body of water will do.
- Bring the Kids – If you have kids and want them to join in on the staycation fun (it’s okay to call up the babysitter), consider splurging on an activity you may normally not pay for, like rock climbing, kayaking, or zip lining.
- Get the Spa Treatment – Invest in yourself and head out to a spa for a rub down or facial. Get the treatment you deserve! Because those knots in your back and the aches in your feet aren’t going anywhere unless you do something about it.
- Dine Out – Since you’re not cooking, visit new restaurants in the area. They don’t have to be fancy, just make sure they are places you’ve never been before. Vacations are a time to explore new places and try new things! Go one step further and bring a destination to you by dining at a themed restaurant. Or go crazy by ordering a progressive dinner. Choose different restaurants to order your appetizer, entree, and dessert!
- Get Fancy – End the evening by getting dressed up. Buy tickets to a local event or see a show at the theater. Go out and do something out of your regular routine.
- Rest – Lastly, get some sleep! The point of a vacation is to rewind and reset, and the best way to do that is through some good old fashion sleep.