Savor the last weekend of summer!
Labor Day weekend is just around the corner and you know what that means: BBQs, yard games, bonfires, and hopefully a three-day weekend! Labor Day weekend serves as the nation’s last Hoorah as the carefree season comes to a close. So whether you’re hosting a party personally or attending a friends’, it’s always a great idea to have everything you’re going to cook or contribute sorted out ahead of time so you can be sure you have all the ingredients and save yourself from having to stress out or running around last minute!
Hosting or attending big cookouts such as those organized during Labor Day weekend attracts a lot of people with different tastes, so here’s a compilation of quick grilled dishes that are guaranteed to make everyone’s mouth water!
Chicken & Cheese Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers:
These poppers make for a great finger food snack or appetizer; it’s perfect for cookouts. It’ll provide a little kick among the other dishes you may be serving, and the fresh jalapeño will savor the flavor of summer!
- Large, fresh jalapeño peppers
- 1/3 cup shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. pepper
- 1 Tsp. minced garlic
- Cut the jalapeños in half (length wise), removing the seeds and tops. Make sure you don’t leave any of the seeds unless you like it EXTREMELY hot.
- Mix the shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, corn, and spices together to make the filling.
- Scoop enough of your filling to fill the jalapeño halves.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each popper.
- Using tongs, place them on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat or until the cheese starts to brown.
Recipe by: Saving Cents with Sense.
Hawaiian BBQ Burger:
This burger is delicious and takes about 5 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook! The ingredients listed below serves 4 people, so adjust measurements according to how many you plan to feed. This burger is light, quick, easy, and provides amazing flavors of summer with the added pineapple!
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/4 bottle of KRAFT barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp. pineapple juice
- 4 slices of KRAFT singles
- 4 pineapple slices
- Shape ground beef into 4 burger patties.
- Place burgers on a heated and greased grill.
- Whisk together KRAFT Barbecue Sauce and pineapple juice.
- While burgers are cooking, brush pineapple KRAFT Barbecue sauce mix on top until satisfied.
- Flip burgers and cook for an additional 5 -6 minutes (or until desired doneness).
- Place a slice of KRAFT Singles on each burger (about 1-2 minutes before burgers are finished).
- Grill pineapple slices and place on top of burger.
Recipe by: Made to be a Momma.
This recipe is fresh, simple, and some of the best fish tacos out there! Takes about 15 minutes to prep and just 5 minutes to cook. This recipe serves 4 people, so if accommodating more be sure to adjust the measurements; it’s also gluten free!
- 1 cup grape tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ Tsp. salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 cups coleslaw mix or green or red cabbage, sliced into narrow strips
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. whitefish – Tilapia or other whitefish
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 tortillas (use corn if gluten free)
- 1 avocado, cut into strips
- Cut lime in half; juice one half and slice the other half into wedges.
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and half the lime juice in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, and remaining lime juice.
- Combine coleslaw mix/ cabbage with 2 tablespoons of yogurt sauce in another bowl.
- Set extra yogurt sauce aside.
- Sprinkle whitefish with chili powder, black pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt
- Grill fish, cook 3 minutes on one side then flip and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve by placing whitefish on top of tortillas and then adding homemade salsa, cabbage mix, avocado, and yogurt sauce.
Recipe by: Everyday Savvy.
This is a dessert sent from above and super easy to make! Takes about 10 minutes to prep and grill, and your guests will LOVE it; it’s a perfect way to end your cookout!
- 1 peeled banana
- 2 Tbsp. mini marshmallows
- 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. slightly crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Slice banana lengthwise and slightly open. Place on aluminum foil.
- Insert marshmallows and chocolate chips into sliced banana.
- Wrap banana in foil and grill for 5-6 minutes.
- Unwrap banana and top with cereal.
Recipe by: Tablespoon.